A few of my dear readers and fellow bloggers have often asked me for advice regarding writing and how to in general go about posting things. I had written a few points in response to a comment recently, so I thought I’d share it.
Incase you have some more tips, do comment below. I am an amateur myself. The aim is for all of us to benefit from each other’s experiences. 🙂
1.Write write write write. Dont think about what is right or wrong.We are our own critics. Let your emotions and creativity flow. You can always edit later.
2. If you have writer’s bloc-You can use the daily prompts as an incentive if you want to be inspired to write and cannot find inspiration or food for thought. Even the Blogging University is a great way of getting advice and a headstart.
3. In your posts-Use multiple media- You can use images, music or even videos, it makes the post stand out and look more visually attractive.
4. Catchy, inriguing titles bring more readers.
Don’t use grand, big words unless you know what they mean. The words you choose should compliment your thought process.
5. Try to keep the flow consistent, and dont write very long pieces, unless necessary.
A craftly written long piece would engage readers, otherwise some get intimidated by the length to read and bored too.
Also, you can divide your work and post a short series.
This keeps the attention span and also creates a following of readers who will come back to read more.
6.Grammatical errors need to be worked on. If you tend to make mistakes you can type your piece on Word,
make required corrections and then Copy+Paste.
(This point is not very crucial, especially since a lot of writers don’t have English as their first language.
However as a writer I feel one should aspire to learn to use the language in the best possible way.)
Also, being a mean Grammar Nazi is not fair on fellow bloggers.
7. You can take part in challenges posted by other writers- this will bring out your creativity and help you socialise as well, perhaps make new friends.
8. Tag your posts appropriatly, so that readers can find it.
You can also categorise your posts, makes it easier for people to look through your past work.
9. Basically be honest-Write from your heart and let your imagination loose. You will be amazed with what all you are capable of.
Don’t be sceptical of what people may think.
Also be careful.
Don’t share too many personal details (eg address,full name, Personal photographs,contact details etc).
You never know who may be reading.
It is better to be safe than sorry.
10. Read other people’s works in the genres you want to improve in.
And be liberal in complimenting something you liked.
We are all striving here, a few kind words go a long way. 🙂
11. Make your writing interactive and appealing. The reader should be able to connect with and relate to what you are trying to say.
A bit of humour is also a good ingredient.
12. You can write a short paragraph introducing your concept, or what drove you to write it.
The more personal and human the post feels the more it is relateable.
13.If you want more readers/followers Then go socialise.
Find fellow bloggers who share your interests, and genuinely be keen on making contacts.
It is fairly visible if one is merely networking for the the numbers or the experience.
14. The visual look of your blog is also a factor.
There are wonderful themes which one can choose from.
You can customise them to your needs and preferences.
15. Have fun! The aim of blogging is to foremost enjoy the process of writing and expressing ourselves and then being able to share it with the world.
(all images courtesy Google)
Keep writing, Keep blogging! 🙂